Protecting employees from environmental factors or stresses in the workplace is important to businesses. Adverse health effects due to chemical, biological and physical hazards during the course of employment can result in:
- Workers compensation claims
- Fines from regulatory agencies
- Lost time and productivity
With over 30 years of experience providing industrial hygiene consulting services, Kyron Environmental is experienced in the recognition, evaluation and control of workplace stresses and can help you prevent occupational illnesses and incidences.
Exposure assessments often require sample collection and analysis. Effective exposure assessments require knowledge and experience to ensure that sampling strategies are properly planned and implemented. Proper data interpretation, based on science and reflecting the actual or potential exposures found in the worksite, is essential when: determining control measures, employee disclosure, and establishing medical surveillance programs.
Kyron's experience with U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), Washington State Division of Occupational Safety and Health (DOSH), other applicable regulations, and non-regulatory standards of care provide the foundation for you to make informed decisions about employee health. Examples of Kyron's services include:
- Air and/or surface sampling to assess exposures to hazardous substances such as asbestos, dusts, lead, PCBs, solvents, acids and bases, metals, mold, gases, and fibers. Sampling may be done to address employee complaints, establish exposure baselines, meet regulatory requirements or evaluate control measures.
- Noise monitoring to determine hearing conservation program requirements, levels of engineering controls and necessary personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Indoor air quality assessments
Chronic noise exposure in the workplace can lead to employee hearing loss. Operations more likely to have chronic noise exposure include, printing, metal working, welding, woodworking, food processing, textiles, stoneworking, paper and cardboard manufacturing, and chemical processing. A noise exposure has likely occurred when two people standing in a work environment have difficulty carrying on a conversation. Kyron can conduct noise monitoring and compliance checks, recommend noise engineering controls, train employees on the proper use of hearing protection, as well as assist in the development and implementation of a hearing conservation program.
When noise exposures exist, OSHA/DOSH hearing loss recordkeeping requirements emphasize the need for companies to have an active supported Hearing Conservation Program. A Hearing Conservation program is a requirement whenever employee noise exposures exceed 85 A scale decibels over an 8 hour work shift. The elements of a Hearing Conservation program include:
- Noise monitoring
- Baseline and annual employee audiograms
- Annual training
- Engineering noise control
- Formal program development
Kyron can conduct on-site noise monitoring and compliance checks.
Task Typical Costs
Full shift personal dosimetry (up to 5 employees) $1110/day
Full shift area dosimetry (up to 5 areas) $1110/day
Noise mapping $900/day
Job Safety Analysis
Kyron has the depth and breadth of experience to identify agents that can cause occupational illness or injury and help employers evaluate the risk. A risk assessment goes beyond looking at just the health risks presented by a specific exposure; it includes looking at the risks associated with compliance as well as the risks related to people's perceptions of hazardous substance or noise exposure. The information obtained in the risk assessment and exposure identification process can be used to plan an assessment strategy, develop and implement prevention plans, or determine whether a specific exposure could cause illness or injury. Examples of Kyron's services include:
- Job process review and hazard recognition
- Review of Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) to assess risk of chemicals
- Identifying engineering control options
- Identifying personal protective equipment options
- Review of existing exposure records and exposure control plans
Prioritization of risks to manage resources and control efforts
Accident/Incident Prevention Plans
Our services don't stop at identifying and assessing exposures. Kyron Environmental can help you prepare prevention plans to reduce employee exposures. Prevention of occupational illnesses and injuries from exposures to hazardous substances and noise may require various levels of control including product substitution, engineering controls, work practice changes, specialized training, or use of PPE. Corrective actions needed are often OSHA/DOSH related. Our experience working with these regulations and regulatory personnel can help you understand and follow required occupational health and safety standards. Other occupational health & safety issues are not adequately addressed by OSHA/DOSH but a hazard or liability may still exist. In these cases, we will advise you of recognized standards of care that will assist you in protecting your employees and your company from litigation. Examples of Kyron's services include:
- Assistance in developing or upgrading written programs to address industrial hygiene exposures
- Identifying resources to reduce exposures through engineering controls
- Identifying work practice or administrative changes that could reduce exposures
- Assistance in selecting personal protective equipment such as respirators, hearing protection, and chemical protective clothing
Training of employees and management personnel to meet regulatory requirements or improve work practices